124: Riverfest 2018

We love festivals and community events. For our city of Wichita, there is none bigger and better than Riverfest. A big chunk of downtown surrounding the Century II convention center is partitioned off for over a week. There are tons of things to do for all walks of life, young and old. Fair food, outdoor concerts, contests and activities on and off the river, it's a blast. In honor of this beloved event, we decided to use subtle Riverfest elements as our theme.

For Nicky's portrait I knew that I wanted to capture the Riverfest grande finale fireworks. I didn't want to overpower her so I chose a fire spectacle that was more subdued and complimented her face both in color and form. I had her sit on the decorative concrete river edge where we were waiting to watch the explosive illuminations and I shot with a 24-105.

Nicky was also dead set on where she wanted mine shot, on a water based Wind wagon. One of the fun activities we always partake in is the Wagonmasters River Tour. You ride in a pontoon boat that looks like a covered wagon down the river for a short spell. But the best part is that the Wagonmaster guides regale you with Wichita river based history intertwined with awesome dad jokes. So after Nicky captured her portrait of me I requested one with the aforementioned Wagonmasters. The gentleman was wearing an epic Wichita flag themed blazer and it  just so happened to be Vice Mayor Bryan Frye.

Seeing as I got to drop a second pic on this weeks SPF, Nicky wanted to show off her favorite Riverfest hosted WichiCon cosplayers. This decked out post-apocalyptic duo looked amazing!





Comments